In chapter 11 in No Period. Now What? we suggest using affirmations–encouraging statements that help keep you focused on your goal–to help you get through tough times as you work to recover from hypothalamic amenorrhea. Here are a few more that didn’t make it in to the chapter.
- The moment you’re ready to quit is usually the moment right before the miracle happens. Don’t give up.
- My body is a five star baby hotel!
- The journey is hard, the recovery is worth it, be gentle on yourself.
- I am not defined by the number on the scale.
- I have a different body now, but different is OK, even healthy!
- I am grateful for ________ today.
- No one is in charge of my happiness except for me.
- Time heals almost everything…..I will give this time.
- No matter what my appearance may be, I am going to press forward in faith towards a hopeful future and not relive my past!
- My happiness is not contingent upon circumstance.
Write any (or all) of the affirmations that speak to you on little pieces of paper, and put them in random spots. They can provide a little pick-me-up throughout your day. Or if you find yourself struggling with how you look, not being able to exercise as you feel you ‘should’, or eating out of your comfort zone, use these to remind yourself of your purpose and desires. Tape them to your mirror, fridge, running shoes – whatever it takes to remind yourself that what you are doing is helping you to recover and kick some hypothalamic amenorrhea butt.
You’ve got this!